So I was reading an article by Lauren Winner about why she loves the Mitford Series novels and came across 12 “depression busters,” which are actually just good pieces of advice for life, depressed or not. I couldn’t help thinking in the back of my mind what the depression busters would look like on a Christian website. Maybe something like this?
2. Read the book of Job
3. Listen to Praise & Worship music
5. Listen to Praise & Worship music
6. Clean out your Bible
7. Read the book of Philippians
8. Read the first chapter of James
9. Read the book of Job again
11. Go to the Christian Book & Gift Shoppe
12. Do another ministry
I think one of the neat things about being a Christian is claiming truth wherever it’s found, because it’s God’s world, and like Philip Yancey and Moses say, it’s a good world. I think Beliefnet’s 12 depression busters are actually really good wisdom for life, even though they don’t have a Christian stamp on them.